Sunday, June 1, 2014

Luck o' The Puck

I'm not a sports guy.  Most of you who know me personally know this.  Yet I married into a family of sports nuts.  What makes this especially surprising is that only in recent years, I've learned that I have a lot of family connections to professional sports.
My cousin is married to the executive vice-president of football operations for the Cleveland Browns (be nice, Steeler fans!) after wrapping up a 29-year tenure with the Miami Dolphins in a similar capacity. 
Another cousin, my godfather, married the daughter of Detroit Red Wings left defenseman and Hockey Hall of Famer Bill Gadsby.  I only learned of that relationship at my godfather's funeral in 1997, when Gordie Howe showed up to pay his respects.
Another cousin played center for the then-New York Titans, after playing the same position for Rutgers University.  He would then build the Young & Rubicam advertising agency into one of the industry's leaders...opening hundreds of branch offices throughout the world, including Russia.
Despite my hockey connection, I only learned of the 'office politics' that surround professional hockey, in light of the recent dismissal of Pittsburgh Penguins General Manager Ray Shero and ownership's decision to retain head coach Dan Bylsma. 
I was surprised to learn that the general manager selects players from the draft, with the head coach playing a minimal role, if any, in the final roster selection.  He more or less says 'here' and presents the players the coach will work with in hopes of delivering a Stanley Cup Championship.
There is such a thing as a player that is not 'coachable', and that's where the office politics come into play.  When Scotty Bowman came to the Pittsburgh Penguins not long after the death of "Badger Bob" Johnston, he was told by then-GM Craig Patrick which players were 'hands-off', and one of said players turned around and after becoming an owner-partner, fired him more than a decade later. 
You see where I'm going with this.
Bowman's response was to promptly resign, pack his bags and leave for Detroit, but not before taking a few key Pittsburgh players with him.  He proved his worth quickly when he brought back-to-back Stanley Cup Championships for the Red Wings.
While some blame Bylsma, the ultimate responsibility lies with the general manager and the players he hand-picked.  Shero had to go.  Bylsma did manage to bring one Stanley Cup Championship to the team, and in my opinion, does deserve a second chance under the new general manager. 
But Bylsma needs to know this...he will be skating on very thin ice. 
Pun intended.
One season. 
He might want to minimalize any clutter he has in his office, in the meantime.



NEXT WEEK:  Sunshine and Summertime

No comments:

Post a Comment