Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sounds of Sunday

In my post-radio retirement, the closest I come to the business anymore these days is staying in touch with my cronies still in it or those who also have thrown in the towel and bask in 'life after radio'.
Plus, I serve as the sound coordinator at my local church.  Usually I'm introduced to visitors from elders or deacons as 'Ken is in charge of our sound each Sunday.'
Sounds simple enough, right?
If I were to describe me in that capacity, my job would be to worry excessively, obsess over every minute detail and be afraid to leave town on the weekends, thinking of the major meltdown that would only happen in my absence.
Yeah, that's what I do.
While some may think I simply make sure the volumes are at a reasonable level for our pastor, liturgists and musicians, I only wish it was that simple.
I have to make sure all wireless microphones are in full working order, and fix them if necessary.  Make sure our wired mics are working likewise.  Upon taking the job, I spent about a month with Weller, my trusty soldering gun, to repair broken solder joints in microphone cables.  That was also the time I discovered that I no longer could see these small joints with my natural vision. 
So I have reading glasses now.
There's also unexplained 60 Hz 'hums' that suddenly arise in our audio chain and I have to not only find the source of them, but find a way to get rid of them.  It's times like these that make me wish I paid more attention to broadcast engineers surrounding me for so many years.
I did learn this though...ground loop isolator speaker cables can be your best friend.  Good luck in finding any that are reasonably priced, though.
Yes, I do have to prepare and adhere to an annual budget, too. 
Despite my obsessiveness, I am comforted in knowing that those who trust the church sound system in my charge appreciate the job I do for them.
And I return the favor by keeping them in the loop on what I'm doing to address any problems that crop up.  That their concerns aren't just being heard, but acted upon.
And every once in a while, I hear things like this:
"You're a gift to the church."
That makes it all worthwhile.



NEXT WEEK:  Hockey Talk

No comments:

Post a Comment