Sunday, May 11, 2014

Second Helping

I usually try to not use this column as a platform for self-promotion, but I hope you'll indulge me this week.
Ah, whom am I kidding?  I was in an ego-driven business for 26 years, and it's probably become one of my defining characteristics.
In the spring of 2011, I officially became a mainstream published author, when "Chicken Soup for the Soul" published my first contribution, "I'm Pregnant" in their "New Moms" edition.  The story chronicles a new mother's journey through the eyes of her husband.  Namely, Margie and me.
Prior to this, I had several broadcasting trade articles published under my on-air sobriquet, "Ken Hawk", sharing my ideas with other radio decision-makers on how to make their stations better.
Just recently, I announced my second contribution to "CSS".  This one is called "Love Lives Here," which will appear on page 155 of the "Home Sweet Home" edition due to hit bookstores later this month.
The first story was a very big honor.  This second one is even bigger.
For years, I've written about murders, robberies, car accidents, and local politics on a daily basis as a means to earn a living.  This is all part of radio people 're-inventing' themselves to continue to try and fit into a medium that continues to evolve and change over time.  Nonetheless, the needs of broadcasters changes over time as revenues shrink and staffing levels need to be adjusted accordingly.
Sometimes, radio people simply 'age out' of a profession geared more towards younger unmarried people without families.  The demands of radio are not family-friendly, and radio families either learn to deal with it to the best of their ability, or they succumb.
I'm proud to say I've chosen my family over my past career.  I've found that I have more to write about because of my wife and daughter.  There's also my extended family.
Today I write more about what I want to, rather than what I have to.  I find I don't have to dig as deep to write a good story that inspires others.  Other broadcasters have also inspired me to write the memoir that hopefully I'll have completed in this lifetime.
Whether that goal is reached is unimportant, because I'm in no hurry.
I'll spend this valuable time watching my daughter grow.
And celebrating on this Mother's Day today, the woman who brought her into this world.
Thank you Margie, for giving me this precious gift.
And for everything else.


NEXT WEEK:  Sound Off

No comments:

Post a Comment