Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day of Dad-votion

I read a news report earlier this week on how much money is spent on Mother's Day as opposed to Father's Day.
There's quite a difference, you know.
More money is being spent on Mom than Dad on their special day.
That appears to be surprising to everyone.
Except us.
We don't expect much.
Mother's Day is one thing.  Mom does so much for us.  Even if she works full-time, Mom still remains the go-to gal for just about anything.  She can make virtually any meal with virtually nothing in the cupboard, heal injuries that would rival Harvard Med School's top doctors, balance the checkbook with the prowess of IBM's chief controller, and still have bountiful energy left over.
She's the first one out of bed, and the last one in it.
The only time we go to Dad, it seems, is when we need something fixed.  Duct tape, a crescent wrench and WD-40 can fix just about anything.
But all that's OK.
We don't expect a fuss made over us for Father's Day.  Nor a whole lot of money spent, if any at all.
An ideal gift I could receive for Father's Day would be a day of having to do nothing other than breathe.
I would give my eye teeth for a day where I could just spend a single carefree day on the boat, and enjoy a nice meal with my family...preferably a nice steak grilled out and a bottle of wine.
I'll get half of what I want today...the dinner and wine.
The boat will have to wait another day as I try and complete a shed project in a race against the elements, as we're expecting rain tomorrow.
So I'll spend my 'nothing' day next week.  My wife and daughter have gotten me tickets to the Penn's Colony Wine Festival next week as part of my Father's Day gift.
Plus a license plate frame for my pickup as I've disowned the dealership that's last serviced it and took it upon themselves to 'adopt' it, complete with a license plate frame advertising their own dealership.
What Margie and Savannah may not know is they've already given me the best gift ever.
Themselves.
That alone is priceless.


NEXT WEEK:  Shed Shreds

No comments:

Post a Comment