Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunshine and Summertime

Those of you country music fans who are fans of Faith Hill know the song well.
"We've got classic colas, and ice cold Coronas, and big pool parties in the back yard..."
A rather romantic picture of the summer season.
For some of us, especially in the northeast, where we've endured probably the most severe winter in  modern recorded history, it means playing catch-up for what we weren't able to do outside.
Trimming hedges.  Getting summer furniture out of storage.  Planting veggies.  You know what the routine is.
Yesterday, I got started on building a vinyl shed in our backyard.  I recruited my best friend by bribing him with pizza and a case of beer to assist me in this two-person job.  We got the structure itself put up, but it now needs some finishing touches. 
Like leveling.  You know, little stuff.
Then there's other projects looming that need my attention.
The door jambs above the garage door need painted.  The roof leak above the upstairs bathroom will finally get attention towards the end of the month, after getting an estimate from a handyman.  More boat work.  A landscaping project towards the back of the house. 
So much work.  So little time.
But it's often said you have to make time.
That I will do one week from today.
I told my wife the only thing I want to do on Father's Day weekend is NOTHING.
As in, nothing around the house. 
I don't want to worry about mowing grass, or whatever's bound to break next, cleaning the basement, sweeping the garage or all the other ever-ready answers men have to answer their wives' queries as to how they're going to spend the Saturday.
I still have to decide how we're going to spend those days, but that's the only definitive answer I can give for right now.
It may involve wine, a picnic, or even a trip on the boat.
Whatever it is, it has to be non-work-related, and it has to be with my family.
It's the way it should be.
Perhaps one of these days, I'll do a better job of making time for them.



NEXT WEEK:  The Mom and Dads

No comments:

Post a Comment