Monday, January 7, 2013

Turning Away From Facebook


I have to admire my wife.
She is by far, one of the most strong-willed people I know.
Of the two of us, I was the first to jump on the social media bandwagon.  First it was MySpace.com, and then I migrated to Facebook, after finding that MySpace turned out to be a little too juvenile for my tastes.
I do enjoy Facebook.  In my line of work, constantly being in the public eye, it not only gives listeners insight into the 'face behind the voice', it also allows me to stay in touch with my radio colleagues and know how they're doing.
Because you never know that one day, you might find yourself 'on the beach'.
That means 'blown out'.  Or fired.  Or otherwise involuntarily outplaced.
I'm used to being in the public eye.  I have been for the past 25 years, give or take a couple.  As such, I have to be mindful of my conduct.  What I say or do is always under scrutiny, and in these days of readily available digital media and the internet, one outlandish act on my part could be broadcast over the internet that could potential ruin a career.
Thus, I know what's safe to put on Facebook, and what isn't.
About the most controversial thing you'll ever read on my site is what you're reading now.
I don't post 'adult' pictures or sayings on my page, nor do I use obscene language in my Facebook posts nor in this column.
I have however, taken stands on certain matters that have not been popular, and that has cost me a few so-called 'friends'.  And when doing so, I often precede it with a disclaimer that limits my views to myself and doesn't cast an unfavorable light on those I work for or others close to me.
Unfortunately, not all of my 'friends' on Facebook feel this way.
They rant and rave about anything and everyone, using four-letter words that would make a sailor blush with shame.  Or they choose to 'share' some banal or obscene photo with you by posting it to your wall.
Yeah, that would upset me too.
While Margie isn't in the public eye, she does work for the federal government, and she's very mindful of what she puts out there.
But even she has had enough of it.
I noticed it this past week when I noticed that my relationship status went from 'married to Marjorie Ola Hoculock' to just 'married'.
Did she 'defriend' me, I wondered.
So I asked.  That's when she communicated her feelings to me.
I can't say I blame her one bit.
And those who do want to get in touch with her badly enough, know how to go about doing so.
Maybe some day, I too will be that strong.
I can quit anytime.
But 'can' and 'will' are two different animals.


NEXT WEEK:  A Free History Lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment