Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Secret Of Moving On


I borrow the title of David Pack's album, where he performs jazz-themed covers of hits with his former soft rock band of the 70s, "Ambrosia".
Check it out for yourself.  If you like Smooth Jazz, that is.
Change is rampant in our society.  As I've grown older, the more difficult I find it to accept change.
Yet it happens.  There's nothing I can do to stop it.
Some I welcome with open arms.  Others, I prefer to leave it if given the option to take it or leave it.
Notwithstanding, I have made a change of my own.
Today is the last Ken's Korner you will be reading.
I will not be moving my column to another social media site, nor to a newspaper syndicate or other medium.
My sister column, Old School Dad, will also be ending likewise.
For close to seven years now, I've aired my viewpoints weekly on both MySpace and Facebook.
Some of you have emailed me to tell me how much you enjoy reading about what I have to say.  Some of you have also emailed me to inform me that you don't like what I have to say and challenge my views.
And I welcome both praise and pontification.  As a journalist, it takes courage to speak up, even when my take might not be the popular view.
I'm not afraid to generate controversy.  I like to push people's buttons and find out what makes them tick.
Al Julius, a well-known KDKA-TV commentator during the 70s and 80s, did just that.  While I'll never receive the accolades that Al received in his lifetime, I'm proud of what I've committed to what I've put to cyber-paper for the better part of a decade now.
And the time has come for me to move on.
It's time to do something else.
I believe I've said everything that needs to be said in my weekly warblings, as I've come to call them.
I don't say anything I don't believe in.  And I do my best to get all of my facts straight before I put them 'out there'.
Some will tell you that I'm stubborn as a Texas jackass stuck in the LaBrea tar pits on a chilly day.  Some of them might also tell you that I'll give you the shirt off my back or the last few bills in my wallet if you needed them.  I'm many things to many people.  This is one of my favorite quotes:

"I've been in the public eye for more than fifty years as Merv Griffin, not as somebody else's creation. I've never pretended to be someone I wasn't. If there was anything really important that people didn't know about me by now, then I would have to be world's greatest actor. Forget Brando, forget Hoffman, forget DeNiro...I would have to be the best."

Well put, sir.
I've reinvented myself over the years.  From my career to my personal life.  As part of the reinvention process, you tend to rearrange your priorities over the years.  I've seen myself transcend from hardcore career man to family man who sees the highlight of his day when he leaves the office...as he sits down to dinner with his family who willingly waits for him to come home.
I will be devoting more of my time to improving and developing my journalistic tasks, but you won't hear the last of me, I promise.
In my spare time, I'm also working on a novel.  Hopefully it'll be published in my lifetime.
And if not, that's OK.
I'm sure it won't be the first thing I haven't finished.  I've got a laundry list of those items.
To those of you who have supported my efforts all these years, I offer my most heartfelt thanks and deep appreciation.  The fact that you took time out of your Sunday to read this speaks volumes.
Radio and TV broadcasting has always been a low-level form of show business.  In show business, we don't say good-bye.
It's more like "see ya".
And we'll leave it at that.



No comments:

Post a Comment