Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Few Friendly Words


I have to admit, I've jumped on the bandwagon.
I used to play Scrabble on my smartphone.  However, I've deferred to my wife, who has chosen to play words with Friends.
I'm still trying to decipher the difference between the two.
I can get multiple games going with several people.
I'm still trying to get the hang of it all.  It's addictive.
Plus the strategy of creating words in the right places to get the most points possible.  This is where I need work.
I've also learned that some people I do play with are in real life, notoriously poor spellers.  Yet, somehow, their misspellings (at least that's how I see them) turn out to be real words.
And yet the best I can do sometimes turns out to be one to maybe three letters at best.  Plus there's all those rules about putting words against each other.
But every once in a while, I surprise even myself with a humdinger that made a then-girlfriend ten years ago stalk off in a huff after a word I used garnered about 50 points.
The word...P-I-X-Y.
Oh, and this was the old-school board version of Scrabble.  Didn't have them newfangled smartyphones in them days, Sonny.
We agreed at the beginning of the game that a Webster's Elementary Edition Dictionary would be the official source for determining whether or not a word could be used.
I spelled the word and saw her jaw drop and her eyebrows rise.
"What?  NO!" was her response.
I quickly looked up the word and presented the open page to her.
She scowled and quickly left the room.  She didn't come back.
Yep, I can sure pick 'em, can't I?
Not the words, the women in my life prior to meeting the woman who would become my wife.
And yes, I've played my wife too.
She's managed to beat me all but one time, but I don't mind at all.
And she lost well on that one occasion.
Probably because my victory was a skin-of-my-teeth margin.
All the more reason to do better.


"Ken's Korner" will go on hiatus until Sunday, January 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment