Sunday, March 25, 2012

March Mildness

This time of year, at least for my wife Margie, is a time of basketball bliss.
Yep, March Madness.
Margie and her side of the family are THE sports fanatics.  Especially where college sports are concerned.  Having to often write sports stories for the radio station where I work, I've been able to brush-up on my ability to relate to things going on in the world of sports.
With this being one of the most mild winters in western Pennsylvania history, this weekend marked the first in years where not only could you watch the NCAA Championships on TV, you could go outside and enjoy a half-court pickup game in our driveway. 
Even I couldn't believe what I was seeing in the weather forecasts I was poring through while at the radio station.
Highs in the 80s...lows in the 50s.  Enough to turn the furnace off and open the windows. 
This past week's weather in particular made me wonder if I should scrap our vacation plans to Hilton Head this fall and stay closer to home, with gas prices now hovering at $4 a gallon with predictions of price hikes so great that Americans will be crossing the border to Canada to buy our gas, thus reciprocating the situation there.
Uh, no.  Not gonna happen.  I'll take a second job to pay for my gas first.
I had made an hour-long drive from Butler to Hermitage (near the Ohio state line) to cover a board of trustees meeting at a branch campus of our local community college.
After the meeting, I walked outside to what felt like near 90.  Three female students were impromptu sunbathing on the sidewalk, all wearing tank tops, shorts and flip-flops.  Outside of Wal-Mart, that attire is unheard of this time of year in western Pennsylvania.
On my way back to the radio station, I decided to stop and pick up lunch at one of the few remaining Arthur Treacher's franchises nearby.  Enroute, I saw a convertible and a Jeep Wrangler with their tops down.
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Even I gave in to the urge and fired up the station van's air conditioner. 


NEXT WEEK:  Winning at Wining

No comments:

Post a Comment