Sunday, April 1, 2012

Winers Are Winners Here

"I love wining with you!" (in a 'whined' voice)
"And I love wining with YOU! (likewise)
These are frequent exchanges between my wife Margie and me.  Usually it's when wine is consumed.
Most of you who know us also know that we're wine aficionados.  We love wine.  And now for the third year, we've looked forward to our annual spring trek to Erie, Pennsylvania.
It's called "Wine on the Lake". 
With more than 40 exhibitors (not counting the wineries themselves), this sell-out event is one where you make sure you get your tickets early.
This year, Margie and I decided to spring for VIP tickets, which are $15 higher than the general admission tickets.  It allows you access to two private tasting rooms with tapas, plus you get access to purchasing and tasting on the main show floor before the lines start building from the general admission crowd.
My wife asked me why I had this permanent grin affixed to my face at the event.  She was probably convinced that I love wine more than I love her.
And nothing could be further from the truth.
Since becoming parents, our freedom to take off and go where we wanted whenever we wanted has now become restricted.  As some couples become disconnected from each other after children, we've managed to stay connected. 
We can still take our bike rides on the trails when the weather permits, thanks to the child carrier I tow behind my bike; we can also take road trips provided we pack toys for our daughter, extra pull-ups, and snacks. 
But Wine on the Lake harkens back to the days when we were a carefree power couple that could get away with being somewhat irresponsible, if only for a moment.
And some of those moments make the pocketbook a little lighter than it was.
A good example was the end of the day yesterday, when we bought dinner at a Mexican eatery, after Wine on the Lake and before we got home and realized how much wine we had bought.
Seventeen bottles.
Though we have a 24-bottle wine rack, we still had bottles in it before we left.  After we filled the rack with our new purchases, we had some to put aside until there was room.
And we made room last night.
Perhaps tonight too.


NEXT WEEK:  One Day Without Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment