Sunday, March 18, 2012

Washer Whoas...Part III

Two blissful loads of laundry in our new washer/dryer stack.
Then "IT" happened.
Even I couldn't believe it.
Putting the third load in the dryer was what I expected to be rather uneventful.
A loud squeal, and then suddenly it made more noise than a busted chainsaw.
It still dried clothes, and it still did what it was supposed to do.  Except to do it quietly...and without vibrating the house apart.
Much like losing your muffler...the car still works fine, but eventually the noise is going to drive you bonkers or further damage is going to occur.
Fortunately, it was still under warranty, and we did buy the extended coverage.
I called the customer service number to Concord, North Carolina.  A deep-drawled Southern belle came on the line to assist me.
"What's it doing, sir?" she asked.
I had the dryer going at the time, so I simply brought the phone up to it.
"Hear that?" I inquired.
"Dang...sounds like a lawn mower!"
That's a bit of a stretch.  My 1975 Gravely 812 doesn't sound that loud, though my two-year-old daughter would disagree as she holds her hands up to her ears.
She sets up the appointment for the tech to come out.  He takes off a couple panels, turns it on and takes a look.
"I can't find anything mechanically wrong with it.  So we're going to order all new parts for it and just go through it one at a time.  They'll ship them here, and then you call us back and set up the time for me to come back out."
Not something I have to waste an entire day for.  I called my dad, and he agreed to come out and let the guy in.
Then the day came...and the repairman said the part he needed wasn't included with what he had shipped to us.  He'd have to order another one.
Uh...no.  We called Lowe's and got them to exchange it for another dryer.
Lowe's came out and delivered the new unit.  It tested fine.
We've done two loads now without any problems.
But I'm still going to wait awhile before I write my online review.
Just in case.


NEXT WEEK:  March Mildness

No comments:

Post a Comment