Sunday, May 29, 2011

Honey Don't

You've heard of the fabled "honey-do" list, right?  The imaginary (or written) list of home improvement chores a wife bestows upon her hubby to accomplish on the weekends?
For me personally, it didn't exist before we had our child.  We always were able to find the time.  Now having a small one that demands constant attention at this stage of her young life, we have to take the time as we can get it.
And it's not always when we're full of pep and energy.
This fatigue sometimes makes projects go awry...thus spawning the 'honey-don't" list.  Why don't we have more of these?
The 'honey-don't' list can be best described like this...if you remember the ABC sitcom "Home Improvement" at all during the 1990s, remember every mishap that Tim Allen had on the show and at home. 
"Honey, you're not qualified to re-wire the house...let's call someone.  I mean, your dad's a retired electrician, right?  Let's call him!"
Most men wouldn't heed a warning like this.  But growing up in the house of an electrician, even I know when I'm licked.
My latest project has been a patio pad in the backyard.  It was "finished" yesterday, or supposed to be anyway.  After seeing its lumps and dips underneath the patio stones, it became inevitably clear that I would have to borrow a tamping tool from my dad to finish it properly.
Fortunately, I have a very understanding wife who's patient enough in times like these.  She always understands when I bring up the point of saving money by taking up certain tasks on my own.
However, there will come the day where one of my around-the-house blunders will lead to a medical bill that will far exceed what we could have paid a professional to do the job right in the first place.
And we've all had them, right guys? 
Come on...'fess up!
Proof positive that we're the weaker sex. 
We won't give up on our right to exercise our male right to home improvement independence. 
Fire and personal injury be damned!

NEXT WEEK:  If it's a 'smart' phone...

No comments:

Post a Comment