Sunday, May 15, 2011

Four Generations

The week before last marked the arrival of my grandmother-in-law. 
"Nanny", as she's affectionately called by her grandkids (including my wife, who also is Nanny's namesake), arrived in Pennsylvania from Brandon, Florida on Thursday, May 5th. 
Nanny is no stranger to our locale, but this marked the first visit she would make to the new home my wife and I moved into Memorial Day weekend of 2009. 
Lots to be done, of course.  Cleaning the house thoroughly is one thing, and making sure the outside is free of weeds and other debris, of course.  But then came an even bigger project.
The bathroom.
Specifically, the bathroom I've called 'mine' since we've moved in.  Our house has two and a half baths, and one had been pretty much untouched since it was first built in 1966. 
Pink wallpaper, and pink and white tile.  My wife and I talked about eventually updating it, but with Nanny's visit coming up, she wanted it done sooner, rather than later.
And the clock was ticking.
We recruited my brother to do the demolition work to the concrete bunker that doubled as the shower, as well as remove the fixtures and assemble some of the new furniture.  We hired a drywall contractor to put up new drywall, the shower insert, and lay the new floor tiles. 
Margie and I took care of everything else, with my Dad buttoning up some minor plumbing and electrical issues.
The paint had barely dried when Nanny arrived. 
We did it.
Margie promised that she'd wait a few weeks before giving me another time-limited home improvement project.
My drywaller told me there's two things that women look at when buying a house...the bathrooms and the kitchen. 
That should give you a hint, he said.
He also said "A happy wife is a happy life".
Another hint.

NEXT WEEK:   The Magic Bus

No comments:

Post a Comment