Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Old Man Came for a Visit

It's the first time I ever remember such an event during my 42 years on this planet.
On Halloween weekend, as much as five inches of snow fell upon southwestern Pennsylvania.  While we didn't get quite that much in my part of the region, it was still unusual to see snow this early in the fall.
I woke up that Saturday after our daughter decided she no longer was in need of sleep.  It was one of those times where I wished that she was a teenager and would need a crowbar to pry her out of bed.
Sometimes I like snuggle weather!
Notwithstanding, we got out of bed and prepared for our usual Saturday morning ritual of going out for breakfast. 
After our food arrived, my wife posed the question:
"What's on your agenda for today?"
While 'nothing' would have been my preferred response, I was faced with a rather unpleasant task that I wanted nothing to do with...simply because it meant capitulation.
More specifically, removing the mower deck from the tractor and replacing it with the snow blade.
It also reminded me of the letters I send out to local school districts this time of year.  They contain the password they use to cancel or delay school in the event of inclement weather.  I usually wait until November to mail them out, but this year's snowstorm made me rethink whether I should sent them out earlier.
Like August.
After all, this is western Pennsylvania we-unz are living in.
And Old Man Winter decided to show up a little early.
He didn't stay long though.  Just enough to say "I'm here".
Not that we'd ever forget it.


NEXT WEEK:  Insurance vs. Assurance

No comments:

Post a Comment