Sunday, October 30, 2011

Getting My "Fash" On

I'm too sexy for Milan...too sexy for Milan, New York and Japan...
I wish.
But those lyrics, immortalized by the one-hit English pop band Right Said Fred, did have their impact.
Especially me.
That year, I decided to try my hand at fashion modeling, signing with an agency, but getting no paid work.
The best you got was experience, or if you were lucky, you got to keep your wardrobe or maybe some products you were pushing.
The Paul Mitchell gig was pretty nice, I must admit.
But I decided to stick with what I knew best, and that was radio.
Yet more than five years ago, I got my chance at the catwalk once again.
St. Barnabas Health System is a faith-based organization that provides nursing home, hospice, and assisted living facilities for the elderly and infirm, with many of them unable to afford care.
Thus the creation of the St. Barnabas Free Care Fund.
And the fund-raising events relative to it, like the annual Fashion Gala.
This is now my third year.
Because of my involvement with the radio station, I, like my co-workers, have community service obligations that need fulfillment in support of the station that scores us points in the community and with the FCC at license renewal time.
I became involved with St. Barnabas shortly after my arrival in the summer of 2006.  After taking time out for the birth of my daughter more than two years ago, I was back on the Kean Theatre's catwalk a week ago yesterday modeling three outfits...one casual, one business casual, and one evening.
And like those other years, I had a blast doing it.  Since I've become heavier and grayer since those earlier years, it's nice to know they still want me.
And I might even be OK with being upstaged in coming years.
My wife suggested my daughter march with me on the catwalk in a couple years.
As much as I've promised that I wouldn't exploit Savannah's cuteness, I can't help but want to.
Because I can't help but want to show off that beautiful little girl. 
After all, it's one of the things I can truly say I've gotten right.

NEXT WEEK:  Winter Winner

No comments:

Post a Comment