Sunday, August 7, 2011

Who's Got My Back?

Ever have pain so intense that you feel nauseous?
Anyone who's ever had a migraine will agree with this.  If the pain isn't enough to make you upchuck, then the shot of Imitrex to kill it just might.
Last week, an old 'friend' came back for a visit.
For the past 14 years, I've been putting up with lower back pain.  Some days are better than others, and the 'others' sometimes flare up as if to say "hey! didja miss me?"
Prompting me to reply "if I say yes, will you go away and never come back?"
Rrrrright.
It started Tuesday morning of last week with a little nausea.  Then the nausea graduated into stiffness.  Then the stiffness took its graduate degree by manifesting itself in the worst pain in the world.
I ended up leaving work early that day.  I called in sick the next day and went to see my doctor.  He wasn't there, but I ended up seeing his associate instead.
Vicodin and Prednisone became my new best friends.  After another day to allow myself to heal to something close to normalcy, I began to feel better by the end of last Friday.  By this past Tuesday, it was the closest I'd ever be to feeling back to 100 percent.
During my doctor's visit, I began to realize just how many doctors out there have back issues of their own.  My own had two back operations that all but failed, and his associate that saw me had broken his own back at one point.
The doc suggested gentle yoga that included some mild stretching that would keep my lower back in line.
A former classmate of mine who teaches it also offered me some mild yoga exercises to consider as well.
"Us old farts gotta keep in shape," said the doc rather wryly.
Ugh.
I hate it when he's right.
I might have to snag my wife's Pilates video and give that a try.
That might be the closest you'll get me to a yoga class.
I might reconsider that stand...after I'm loaded on a stretcher.

NEXT WEEK:  Mowed Over

No comments:

Post a Comment