Sunday, July 8, 2012

Forgiveness

Yeah, I know.
I didn't have a column last week.  So sue me.
After saying I was only going to be gone for a week, it didn't turn out that way.
Last week's column was interrupted by more substantial priorities, like getting acclimated to a new office building and all the niceties (a term I use very loosely) that come with moving not one, not two, but three radio stations into it.
When you're trying to get your computer to work, finding where on the new control room board where the CBS feed comes in, and if it's working, plus other technical glitches.
Though we're getting the 'bugs' worked out, thanks to two of our four owners and assistants that have been working non-stop, we're well on our way.
Those of you who know me and what I'm about, will overlook the faux pas and cut me some slack for my absence.
And that's important.
Because in the big scheme of things, that's not bad.
Despite my soon to be 43 years on our cherished planet, it never ceases to amaze me how many people choose to hold on to anger and resentment...no matter how many years have passed.
And my question is why?
When you hold onto anger or resentment against another, you effectively allow that person to control you, albeit passively.
I'm on the planning committee for my 25th high school reunion.  For almost a year now, we've been meeting every month to track down our classmates and put them on the invitation list.
This has been made easier through social media like facebook, but some either have stayed on the shoulder of the information superhighway or shied away from social networking websites altogether.
And those we have been able to track down, a lot of them don't want to be found.
It's easy to understand why.
Some were bullies, or were bullied.  But why let that stand in the way of anything?
One girl comes to mind who was a social outcast in high school.  Though she continues to struggle with issues today, she found the courage to show up at our 20-year reunion with her husband and show that she, despite a stormy childhood, can overcome.
One boy, very popular throughout high school, has tended to stay away from the whole reunion scene, most likely due to an unsettled score with a fellow classmate.
Three words.
LET...IT...GO.
Another girl, whom I did not care for, from my days as far back as junior high.  She made contact with me 13 years ago and apologized for her role in our friction.  Completely shocked yet pleased, I too made my peace, and we've been friends ever since.
It was a wonderful feeling indeed.
Then after talking with each other and reminiscing, we learned that the source of our friction was caused by a dirty trick played on us by a school bully who has since passed away.
Then we laughed at how we'd been had.
And we laughed at how easily we made up, in comparison with others we knew who insist on holding a grudge.
I remember someone once saying that kids suffer so much because they won't tell anyone what's the matter.
So end the suffering as an adult.
Let it go.
Life's too short.


NEXT WEEK:  Boat Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment