Sunday, September 4, 2011

Class Reunion

Man, I love Facebook.
It makes me wonder how we lived without it.
Especially when it comes to reconnecting with those whom we haven't seen in years. 
My 20-year high school reunion is a great example.  I got the invite, sent in the money, then waited for the date.
During that time the anxiety set in...did I do enough with my life to really serve any purpose there?  Would anyone remember me?  Would it be like "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion"?  Would an old adversary from 'back then' want to finish some unfinished business?
So I went.  To my surprise, it was different than what I expected, not having any idea of what to expect in the first place.  Oh well.
Then I heard talk of a 25th reunion.  I would have liked to see that happen, but doubted it would, only five years from the last one and with busy lives and family, who has time to plan it.
Apparently, I hadn't reckoned with two women from my graduating class, with a more determined work ethic that I had ever imagined, putting out an invite to attend a planning meeting on Facebook.
They weren't part of the 'popular preppy' cliques in school.  But they weren't the outcasts, either.  They were the girl-next-door types who cherished their high school years, despite the 'hardships' of being a teenager, and were willing to find the time to do the work that few were able or willing to carry on.
Once I learned who was leading the planning, I decided to try and do my part to help.
We all met at a popular tavern near the high school where our parents likely frequented then as well as now.  There were six of us.  We came from a graduating class of more than 400. 
We spent about two hours over drinks and appetizers, trying to come up with ideas for a venue, a printer, name tags, and gifts. 
"The girls", were way ahead of me, in terms of planning.  So I offered to help by getting prices on a couple of things the next day, which was my day off. 
We made arrangements to meet again in another month, and kept in touch over the weekend as to how we were progressing.
Since I had attended my 20-year, I had attended two more reunions.  What we did with our twenty year clearly outclassed the next two, which looked and felt 'thrown together'.  While better than nothing at all, I thought more could have been done.
It made me all the more determined to do my part to make sure our 'silver anniversary' reunion reached a 'gold-standard'. 
It reminded me of an old Beach Boys tune:
"Be True to Your School"
I would come to see those years as some of the best in my life.  While they won't come back, we can gather together to revere all the crazy things we did.
And how far we've come since then.
Love ya, Kiski.

NEXT WEEK:  Keep on Truckin'

No comments:

Post a Comment