Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer Splashdown

Do you remember your first time?
I was maybe four.
It was hot.  And wet. 
And made of plastic.
My first experience in a swimming pool.
Oh, you thought I was talking about something else?  Shame on you.
My daughter's first time was ten months.
It was Memorial Day weekend, and my wife Margie had Savannah dressed in a little bathing suit with her hair done in a fountain ponytail as she splashed in her inflatable pool, having the time of her life.
I even took a movie of it.  All while doing so, I couldn't help but think about how fast she was going to outgrow this thing.  Should I invest now in something bigger?
But then I didn't have to.  Or so I thought.
My brother-in-law had two of those Intex Easy Set pools that he bought for his two young children.  Unsuccessful attempts to sell them online led to our subsequent ownership gratis. 
I was pretty psyched.  I gave one to my parents, who watch my nephew during the week over the summer.  Maybe they could use it.
Then came the first snap of warm weather, after it sat in the garage for about six months.  Time to put it up.
Let me tell you that no matter how level a portion of your yard looks, for some reason, it never is.
That's when you have to settle for 'as level as you can get it'.
After we got it level to our satisfaction, time to inflate it.
That's the fun part...when you find out just how many leaks there are in this thing and go through the process of trying to fix them.
Let me also say that even patch kits aren't fully capable of properly repairing an air leak in that top ring.
Oh...and did I mention the accessories?
You know, chemicals?  Little cheap pool, big price tag chlorine and other maintenance items to keep your little one's swimming water safe.
Then there's skimmers, a pool vacuum that works about as well as the latest Palestinian peace accord, oh...and little toys to keep my daughter amused until we drag her out kicking and screaming.
"NOOOOO!!!!!  I don't care if my lips ARE turning blue!!!"
But as she spends time splashing around, she's also working on her tan, which happens fairly easy for her since her mother and I are both dark-complected people. 
And learning to swim.  She likes to think she can, but only pushes herself to her threshold of comfort.  But she's undeterred.
And so am I. 
Even if she's not Donna DeVarona, she will succeed at anything she does. 
And I certainly enjoy watching her try.

NEXT WEEK:  Marathon Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment