Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Sweetest Thing

For me, the sweetest thing for me will be the end of the Lenten season.
As a practicing Roman Catholic, I partake in the annual ritual of giving up a particular vice for the forty days preceding Easter Sunday.  I've given up candy, soda, pizza, and other things I normally would crave in favor of being a better person through self-denial.
But this year, I took things to a whole new level.  I gave up sweets.
This includes, but is not limited to, candy, chocolate, pastries, cakes, and pies.  I not only wanted to give up something I liked, but I wanted to make it count over all the other times.
And it's been tough.  There's been days where I've had a chocolate monkey on my back.  Fortunately, the rules have changed in the Catholic church that now grant dispensation on Sundays during Lent.
Yay!  On Sundays, the monkey's gone.  Bedtime for Bonzo.
The sacrifice has had its merits. 
I've found that when I've been away from sweets long enough, and then indulge, they're not as appealing.  And I may have even shed a few pounds because of it. 
My pants aren't as tight.  But don't ask me to climb aboard that scale just yet.  I have a certain phobia when it comes to weight measuring instruments.
And if I'm not seen consuming sweets in front of my daughter, she's not going to beg her daddy to share. 
Don't get me wrong on that one.  The Easter Bunny's bringing her chocolate in her little basket for the first time this year...and she will only get it in moderation.
So I'm counting down the days until Sunday, April 24th.  Two weeks from today. 
Margie suggested that maybe I could give up wine next year.
I may be crazy...but I'm not insane.

NEXT WEEK:  Spring has Sprung...at long last.

No comments:

Post a Comment